Larry Finkel Award
Awarded for Spectaular Plays On or Off the Ice While on Tour
"The most famous hockey trophy in Asia"
Named after Larry Finkel, who played hockey in Beijing in the late 1990's, Larry was famous for his first three strides away from the bench, and then a amazing glide for the next 5-minutes.
This trophy is awarded only on tour - and only for spectacular plays on or off of the ice that have helped create the legend of Beijing Hockey. Errant shots, passes, police, alcohol and soldiers have been involved.
- 1997 - Hong Kong - Larry Finkel (USA)
Myth, man, legend: Started here in HK! Share your room!
- 1997 - Bangkok - John Jeakins (Can)
When you say you are going to tour... you go!
- 1998 - Hong Kong - Ray Plummer (Can)
30-seconds left, off his D-mates butt and past Pascal (Hair-Sweater)
- 1998 - Ulaan Baatar - Greg MacIsaac (Can)
Our only goalie is detained by the PSB leaving China. Tough to play sans goalie!
- 2000 - Ulaan Baatar - Dan Koldyk (Can):
Shift change that created a 4-on-0 and lost the tournament
- 2000 - Bangkok - Roman Lebedev (Rus):
Tournament was in BKK, not MNL (Manila). Coming with 2 "supporters" helped but he still missed the first day of games
- 2005 - Ulaan Baatar - Ben (Chn):
Taking photos of yourself taken and then made available to the team
- 2007 - Ulaan Baatar - Gervais Lavoie (Can)
For a shot on his own goalie and finding out why one should never pass in front of your own net... even on a 5-on-3 power play!
- 2008 - Ulaan Baatar - "Yoko" Tormanen (Fin):
For getting himself, the Mongolian organizer of the tournament and two past Finkel recipients 'detained' by police because "he just had to go!"
- 2008 - DPRK - On the DMZ - Mark Andrews (Can):
It must be special for a Shanghai guest player to win. It was unanimous that taking a photo and having a machinegun toting soldier single him out to delete it met all criteria! He needed that spare pair of underwear
- 2009 - Beijing Taxi - Tom McCabe (Can):
Forgetting his team's new jerseys in a taxi!
- 2011 - Bangkok +35 - George Smith (USA):
Leaving his computer, passport etc... in lobby, and having issues with glass doors
- 2012 - Bangkok +35 - Brian Bedford (Can):
League Ambassador Award
Awarded to the Player Who Promotes the Values & Benefits of the BIIH
- 2018 - Andrew Walton (CAN)
- 201- - Kevin Yung (USA)
- 201- - Theophile Seyrig (FRA)
- 201- - Chris Clark (USA)
- 201- -
- 201- -
Count Draxler Award
Awarded to the player that best displays "Behavior Above and Beyond"
Named after Norbert Draxler, whom we made a "Count" after he got a tattoo of a maple leaf in an effort to persuade Canadian immigration officials during the 1997 Bangkok Tournament. Below is the honour roll of those from Beijing Hockey who made touring more than worth the price of airfare. They are always welcome back!
- 2012 - Bangkok +35 - Brian Bedford (Can)
- 2007 - Ulaan Baatar - Tom McCabe (Can)
- 1999 - Dubai - Tomi Niskakoski (Fin):
- 1999 - Manila - Tomi Niskakoski (Fin):
- 1998 - Ulaan Baatar - Andrew Hjelmeland (USA)
- 1998 - Bangkok - George Zarifi (Grk)
- 1997 - Bangkok - Norbert Draxler (Ger)